Fundamentals of Health CoachingIncludes:
- Understand the potential impact of social, economic and environmental determinants of health
- Know the principles and concepts of health coaching.
- Know how to structure conversations using a coaching approach.
- Understand a person-centred approach and approaches that focus on building rapport.
- Be able to build a safe coaching environment to support openness, honesty and willingness to engage
- Understanding Patient Activation/Level in tailoring coaching approaches
- Be able to utilise appropriate coaching techniques at a variety of levels of Patient Activation
- Understand goal-setting is not appropriate at all Levels of Activation
- Know how to work constructively with resistance in a non-judgmental way
Certificate in Health CoachingAs Fundamentals course, plus
- Know the ethos and principles of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Understand how to apply the model of change in practice
- Apply the principles of Patient Activation and readiness for change
- Understand methods of communication including ‘maintenance’ and ‘change’ talk in MI
- Develop techniques for working with ambivalence and resistance to change
- Develop and practice approaches for increasing intrinsic motivation
- Be able to apply health coaching approaches in a wide range of situations on a consistent basis
- Be able to provide reports on coaching services
- Know how to establish and develop a community of practice for workplace supervision